Monday I met our grandma at the church and spent several
hours sorting fabric and yarn from our ward at home. There were some really nice
things. We ended up with five cupboards full of fabric and yarn.
We went to attend
home evening, but no one came for some time and we began to think it had been
cancelled. Sarah had prepared a summary of several schools in AZ, NM, and UT.
She wants to encourage the kids to go somewhere there will be a better
opportunity to meet a spouse. There is so little chance here that it would be
really wise to increase the odds somewhere else.
Tuesday I worked at home all morning. In the afternoon we
went to The Nugget and had a good visit with the owner. He’d been at the
Gathering of the Nations last weekend and his truck had been broken into. A man
called him and offered to sell him part of the stuff so he drove to
Albuquerque. He held the guy hostage until the police arrived. They were going
to let the man’s wife take the car without searching it. When he made them
search the car they found three illegal street weapons. The police wanted to
hold the stolen stuff, but the owner refused to let them take it. He is one
tough dude. Anyway, the one thing he wanted back was his mother-in-law’s
rosary. He told the guy he would come get him if he doesn’t get it back. He is
always interesting to talk to.
Wednesday I studied in the morning. It promised to be a busy
day. We went to the senior center for lunch and visited with the supervisor.
She was trying to find a goat to roast on their upcoming outing. I told her I
had never had goat so we were planning to join them until we found out it would
be held about two hours from here. I asked how they butcher the goat and was
told the same as you do a sheep. When I asked how a sheep is butchered, they
couldn’t tell me. Anyway, I don’t really need the details.
As I visited with the ladies I told them we only had a
couple more weeks before we went home. The supervisor asked if we’d be here on
May 14 and said to be sure to come that day. I’m not sure what they are
planning, but it will probably be interesting. A lady told me she was planning
to come to the church to see if we had some lace. We didn’t. She needs some
lace for a project and has looked all over in Gallup. I told her we were going
to the temple in Albuquerque next week, so she gave me her sample of lace and
asked if I’d get her 5 yards. She even said she’d pay me, which may or may not
happen. She did tell me to keep the receipt. I was supposed to teach another
lady to crochet and had brought my crochet hook and yarn. She was going to
teach me how to make a Navajo skirt. She left, saying she had to go home to get
her stuff and would be back. She never returned.
After that adventure we drove to Thoreau to visit Jack and
Cecelia Surprise one more time. Cecelia’s a spiky character. They told us some
of their early adventures and we enjoyed a good visit. Cecelia had a couple of
bags of clothes she wanted to give to the needy. We put those in the car and
said goodbyes. I will miss our visits with them.
| Jack and Cecelia Surprise |
We then drove to Crownpoint. We grabbed some dinner at the
deli and got to the chapel about 20 minutes early, so we had a good visit with the
teacher. We were thrilled when the 6 kids arrived, including the young sister
of one of the girls. Apparently, this 15 year old girl is caring for her 4
younger siblings since her mom moved in with her boyfriend. She misses school
frequently and does all the cooking and everything else needed. The mom checks
in occasionally and brings some food, as do several other people to make sure
things are going OK. The teacher also isn’t sure what will happen to seminary next
year since the student who brings all the kids to class is graduating this
year. One young girl brought a non-member friend who has been there a couple of
times. This particular seminary has had several non-members attend and one of
the boys that is graduating was baptized a year ago. It is a great group. After
we left there we drove to Grants for the night.
Thursday Ted woke up at 5:17 am. I had left the phone
charger in the car and the phone was too low to set off the alarm. Somehow we
were ready to eat at 6 am then drove to the church for 6:30 seminary. We had a
good visit with the teachers. They are such sweet people and we enjoy their
class. The lesson went well.
At home we unpacked
the car, put things away, got things together for the sewing class, and went to
church. Our grandma and her niece came to sew. The niece picked out some
fabrics and started cutting it into blocks. Our grandma had some material she
had found when we sorted, already cut into blocks, and laid it out on some
tables. It will be really cute. She actually started sewing the blocks
together. The burrito lady came and finished sewing her blocks together. I
worked on burp cloths and blankets.
In the afternoon we worked at home for a while then ran
errands. At one store the clerk told us she was a member living in Church Rock.
We invited her to church. After a few stops we went to Sizzler for dinner to
celebrate our anniversary—39 years. I got all you can eat shrimp and enjoyed
the meal, but I ate more than I should have. I had to get a second order just
because it was all you can eat—there’s a principle in there somewhere.
After we finished there we drove to the stake center for a
training meeting. We were about an hour early so Ted took a nap. The meeting
was excellent. I had to chuckle during the opening song. When we sang, “Happy
are we, Happy are we”, I looked at the people on the stand and they all looked
very somber. It was rather funny. Our session discussed preparing lessons.
There were some really helpful things discussed. Unfortunately, we were the
only people from our branch in attendance.
Friday I was determined to act on the challenge the teacher
gave us in seminary Wednesday night to let the Lord help us overcome
weaknesses. I have a problem getting distracted and getting pulled off task. I
made a list of everything I wanted to get done. I estimated a time for each and
prioritized according to importance. I followed each one in order, but it
became obvious as the day went on that I am not good at estimating how much
time things take. Near the end of the day I had 5 hours worth of things to do
and it was 6 pm. I got a lot done, but everything seemed to take more time than
I planned. I prepared my seminary lesson for Sunday, made bags for the loom
parts, and several other tasks.
About 7:30 there was a knock on the door and we opened it to
see the lady from the branch taking the class on websites. She had been looking
for me for a few weeks and hadn’t found me. Now she had an assignment for her
class due Sunday night and needed help. She needed me to record some videos and
help her embed them on the website. She wanted her daughter to demonstrate how
to wear the scarves she has on this fictitious website, but she didn’t have a
scarf with her. I had taken mine home, so we told her to go home, get a scarf,
and come back and we could do the recordings and try to do the uploading which
I know nothing about.
While she was gone I moved to the last item on my list—take
down my loom. We were able to take all the pieces apart and put them into the
new bags I’d made. It took about 20 minutes—I had allocated 2 hours. Yeah!!
Something went faster than my plan. Our apartment looks quite strange without
the loom. Taking it down made us aware of how quickly time is passing and how
little time we have left.
| The loom and rug before being dissembled; half finished! |
When our friend returned we went to the church. I did the
recordings but couldn’t get the sound to work. Finally, I googled it and found
I just needed to turn up the volume. One of her daughters was doing the
demonstrations, but her twin was laughing at her so it was distracting. Then
they took all their mom’s notes to the car and had to retrieve them so we could
make an attempt to do the work. We copied the good files to her flash drive,
but we weren’t able to figure out how to get the videos on her website. We
finally gave up and she was going to try to find someone at school on Saturday
to help her.
Saturday I tried again to prioritize my day and stick to it.
Almost as soon as I’d finished planning my day we had a call from our district
leaders saying that they wanted to stop by around noon. They leave a week
before us, so I figured they wanted to bring the new district leaders to meet us.
I adjusted my list, but I was actually working way ahead today, getting things
done in much less time than estimated. When noon came and went, we found our
visitors were in St. Michaels with the zone leader and expected to be there a
couple of hours. When they finally arrived they brought a new couple with them.
They will be in Zuni. The wife has always wanted to serve a mission on the
reservation because her parents served in the Grand Canyon.
No comments:
Post a Comment