Elder and Sister Roeth

Elder and Sister Roeth

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Week Ending May 17, 2014

Sunday we taught our last lessons. I focused on Moroni’s exhortations to read the Book of Mormon, to pray to find out if it is true, and to come unto Christ. I believe Moroni’s writing in Moroni 10, exhorting us to come unto Christ, is one of the most beautiful and powerful sections in all of scripture. I challenged the students to find out for themselves, if they haven’t already, that the Book of Mormon is true. I know they felt the spirit and I hope they act on what they have learned this year.

We were asked to speak in church so I spoke about mothers in the Book of Mormon and lessons we can learn from them. First was Sariah, that she really needed to act in faith to leave everything and go into the wilderness. Next were the mothers of Alma and the sons of Mosiah and the power of their fasting and prayers in the lives of their sons. I talked about the mothers of the stripling warriors, who had to overcome the traditions of their fathers to accept their new religion. I talked about teaching their youth while they were young to be strong in their faith and trust in God. Finally, I spoke about the mother of Moroni, and how her life was not ideal with her husband away at war a good part of their lives. I talked about her teaching Moroni the need to rely on the Lord and be strong enough to stand alone and be faithful. I expressed my gratitude for being able to serve among them. I even left Ted a little time to talk. 

Sister Leggett with her quilt

In Relief Society two sisters showed the quilts they’d made. I was very proud of them. I’m not sure the sisters really appreciate the effort those quilts represent. 

Sister Joe with baby quilt for her nephew

Monday I sorted a little more and finished the last burp cloth. We went to our grandma’s to deliver the quilt I’d made. She brought out a beautiful necklace she had made and put it on me. I was overwhelmed. We went to meet a member who gives us fresh eggs to give him his cartons and get a few more eggs. We said our goodbyes to him as well—I will miss all the wonderful and interesting people we have met.

Sister Roeth and Sister Tommy with quilt

 One of the senior couples came and took a few bags of materials to help the people at their senior center with projects. In the evening we picked up pizzas for home evening. We’d ordered an extra one because I wanted to try one a new one. Good thing because there were 15 young adults in addition to Sarah and her family. It was a record turnout. She had told them we were bringing pizza and it was our last time. I know many came for the pizza, but some came just for us. It has been a wonderful experience to be with them. They had all 15 around a table for the game. Sarah insisted everyone get in the circle, so they were sharing chairs and standing. She made the comment, “And the Relief Society thinks these tables only seat 8.” It was really fun to watch. 

Who said these tables only seat 8? Family Home Evening group.

 After several rounds we cleaned up and began our hugs and goodbyes. As I reached the end of the line I realized the kids had moved around to the beginning so the line continued. I went around again and they did it again—really fun of them to do. I didn’t go around the third time, but I appreciate the thought. After a prayer I told them how much we had enjoyed being with them. I will really miss Sarah and her enthusiasm for life and her love of the kids. This was probably the hardest goodbye of all.

Tuesday I left early to go to the church to sew before the ladies arrived. Unfortunately, I somehow took a part out of the machine and couldn’t get it back in. I helped one lady start sewing and another lay her quilt out on 3 tables so we could tie it. We were able to get one entire round done so the edges are all secured. It will be beautiful.

Irene Begay with quilt tied!

A third lady needed to sew, but her machine wasn’t working right. She went to my machine and figured out how to get the piece back in but it still didn’t work. We finally got it to work and she got her quilt top done. We’ll meet again Thursday night and hopefully put hers together, finish the other’s top, and finish tying the quilt.

Sister Roeth and Brenda, Manager of Iyanbito Senior Center

Wednesday I laid out all the blankets and burp cloths. We made 10 blankets and even more burp cloths. They are really cute. The senior center had asked that we be sure to come for lunch today. When we got there we discovered they had planned an Appreciation Dinner for us in connection with their Mothers’ Day celebration. I’d made White Chocolate Popcorn, but I had not anticipated the large crowd and didn’t have enough. They served late because a couple of people were bringing special food. The burrito lady cooked a pot of beans and a man made a container of blue corn pudding. These are both delicacies, so I was very appreciative. We had mutton ribs, fried chicken, fry bread, watermelon, and strawberry shortcake. 

Laurie, Irene Begay (made the beans), and Irene's sister

A man who had become our friend stood and said some very kind words about our service and invited others to talk. I thanked them for making us feel welcome and being friends. He then offered a prayer in Navajo that went on for about 15 minutes. A lady gave me a necklace of small stones that is quite lovely. I was very touched. Another friend and her sister had made us a quilt that is very nice. A lady gave me a vase with an attractive arrangement of artificial flowers. I felt very loved. Several people thanked us for coming and being with them and wished us well. 

Norma Charley and Emma Chavez, seamstresses of the quilt!

At home I sat in the car and enjoyed the warmth for a long while. It’s been so cold lately that it’s hard to believe it’s May. This morning it was 29 degrees. It snowed in Albuquerque yesterday. Crazy. Today has warmed up significantly, but the weather is very unusual.

This picture does not begin to show how bad Windmill Rd is. Crazy!

We had wanted to visit a lady whose son passed away so we drove (very slowly) to her house. No one was home so we left a note. We got directions to her sister’s home and drove as far as we could, but the road got too bad, so we parked and walked. She was not at home either. We left a note for her with her grandson and walked back to the car. I was glad we were able to get out before dark.

Mary Ann Smith, first quilt attempt; daughter Amber

Thursday two of us helped tie the lady’s quilt. We got about half finished. We left it up and worked on it again in the evening. Before the others came, she went out to her truck and came in with two pillows with brown fleece covers from her and her friend. I was touched by that. I know it was important to them. One of the other ladies picked out some fabric and made a backing for her quilt and the other was able to sew her quilt top and press it. Some of the rows are not aligned well, but she says this is her first try and she just wants to leave it. I told them another lady would come help them in June. They asked if it was OK for them to come. It had not occurred to me that there was a question. One is a member but doesn’t attend church. The other is not a member. I told them it was open to anyone and we just wanted to help people. I told them the other lady is not a member either. I was very proud of the work these ladies have done. We also took the blankets and burp cloths to the hospital. They were very appreciative.

Donating blankets and burp cloths to moms at Rehoboth Medical Center

Friday was a really busy day. We met another couple for lunch and had a good visit. The man said they wanted to have a personal visit with us before we go. I was very complimented by that since I enjoy and admire them as well. After our visit we returned home to more cleaning and packing. We have so much left to do. In the evening another couple came over. They had wanted to do an early dinner, but we suggested coming for ice cream. She had made rich brownies to enhance the ice cream experience. We enjoyed the visit and the reprieve from all the work we had to do. After they left we worked until we were too tired to do more.
Saturday we visited the flea market one more time—always interesting. The branch had a pot luck lunch for us. There were three families and one lady in the beginning and another family came later. We enjoyed a good visit with each of the people there. One lady gave us a couple of fleece blankets. She took the trim off one and put fringe on it so it is a shawl, so there was one for me and one for Ted. They were very nice.

When we got home we tried putting the loom in the car and it didn’t fit the way I envisioned. We put padding around it, so it will be fine. We put a few other things in the trunk before we stopped for the day. I began to worry about whether we would get everything in. I cleaned more, but I had to work around the 8 gallons of milk for the seminary graduation. I was exhausted when I finally got to bed. I began thinking about arranging the remaining things in the car and things that needed to be done and the schedule for Monday morning, so it was not a restful sleep. Fortunately, the weather is much warmer than it has been for a few weeks so it was more comfortable in the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment