We had the last Temple Prep class today. It is sort of a
discussion of what happened in the temple, her feelings, and how to make the
temple part of our lives. In Relief Society the president asked the sisters if they
had anything to share. She told the sisters about our experience in the temple
with the missionary and also the blessing to her husband to be sealed to his parents. Another
sister spoke about some health issues she is having. There was a
really sweet spirit in the room as the sisters gave her consoling and
comforting words. Someone suggested we fast and pray for her, so the sisters
are fasting tomorrow together. I thought that was very sweet. After more
discussion we sang our song and started the meeting. We actually had a very
good lesson about the sacrament—I was very touched.
After the meeting there was a luncheon for the missionary. Several people had brought really nice dishes. We sat with
some sweet people and had a good visit. Afterward we said our goodbyes to the
missionary and left.
| Gallup Institute Class |
Monday I got quite a bit done, but not as much as I would
have liked. We attended our
district meeting and had a good time. The food is always wonderful. I had a
good visit with one of the sisters while we ate. We left early to attend the
Young Adult home evening since it was the missionary’s last time. They had
pizza and other treats—everyone seemed to bring something. We played
CatchPhrase and had a really fun time. We said our
goodbyes once again. I’m really glad we went to the two home evenings—it lifted
my spirits a great deal and made me realize how much I have to be thankful for.
| Sister Bethany Pine, missionary, with Sister Roeth |
Tuesday we were awakened at 2:25 am by a phone call from our
son telling us they were at the hospital ready to deliver their baby. The baby
was scheduled for delivery on March 28. Apparently, the baby had other plans.
We went back to bed, but first thing in the morning we received word that our
14th grandchild had been born at 6:53 am. He weighs 8 lb 7 oz and is
21 inches long. Later when pictures started arriving we were amazed at the full
head of dark hair he has.
Just as I finished dressing a lady from church knocked on
the door. She is the lady with the website class and she was having trouble
uploading pictures to the site. She came in and we worked for most of the
morning. I helped her figure out what was needed and she was able to get more
done. She had created some new web pages, one of which did not link in
correctly to the page we did the other day. We were able to copy the original
to the new page which saved some work. I’m glad I could help.
Since we are not sure how the early birth will impact our
travel plans, I felt impressed to get stuff packed up and ready to go.
Wednesday we had a meeting with our CES supervisor in
Thoreau. It was a good meeting and there was a powerful spirit there. At one
point we were talking about how to involve students and he played the student
and had another senior missionary be the teacher. The student wanted to share a
thought he’d had from his reading, which he did. Then the teacher asked why he
felt the way he did. Brother Miller, with tears in his eyes, shared his
testimony of the gospel and the blessing of having latter-day prophets. It was
touching. The teacher then asked another class member to share her feelings
followed by another. It was a moving experience. I was impressed by both teacher
and student—the testimony of the student and the observation of the teacher
that identified other “students” in the class that had been moved by the
experience. It was a good experience.
After that we went to visit Jack Surprise, our potter friend.
Jack and
his wife had a fire in their home on Tuesday and they were staying at the shop,
so we were able to meet his wife. She is from Peru. I had a good visit with her
and she is delightful.
When we left there we drove to Crownpoint. At the store we
bought some dinner at the deli. We then went to the church and waited in the
car until it was time for seminary. Apparently, when the students arrived and
saw us in the car they were curious as to why we didn’t come in. Cute kids. The
teacher asked if I would demonstrate the scripture squeeze for the students. I
did it, but it would have been better if I had been able to prepare so I could
think through what needed to be done. One student was really tired and slept during
class, but he also gave some good responses during the lesson.
After class we visited with the teacher and her husband, the
branch president, about students who were not there and what needed to be done
to reach them. He committed to visiting with one of the students at school—he
is the coach—to try to find a solution to get her there. The two boys that were
there live close to her and have offered rides, but she won’t ride with them. We stayed later than we had hoped so it was dark driving
home. It was a profitable day
and I had enjoyed it.
Thursday just as I was going to shower the lady with the
website class came by to see when I would be available to help her. She knew I
had the quilting class, so she wondered if I could help her in the afternoon. I
suggested she come to the church while we were there, so that’s what she did. I
would work on the quilt a bit and help her over a hurdle then go back to the
quilt while she worked on the next piece. She stayed for lunch then the
president left and I stayed a while so she could work. I finally needed to go
home, so she came to our place. I worked on my stuff while she used the
computer. I didn’t get as much done as I would have liked, but it really helped
her. When she left she said “Thank you.” Then she said, “It really doesn’t seem
like enough to just say thank you, but I don’t know what else to say.” I
appreciated that.
The president finally finished her quilt top. It is really
beautiful. We found a sheet for backing and I told her to press her quilt and
the sheet. She wanted to do that at home. She took the batting with her so I’m
sure she will spread it out on the floor and put it together. She’d be better
to put it on the frame and tie it. She’s a very unique person—for her birthday
she had dyed her hair purple. Her scalp was purple, so it looked weird if you
looked closely, but it was sort of cute on her.
Back at home I reviewed my seminary lesson and did a few
other things. I packed some more stuff and figured some more things that need
to be done. I wish I knew how much I will be able to get in the car. There is
so much stuff that needs to get home eventually.
Friday I split my time between packing and studying. I feel
like this lesson needs so much more to be effective. I have a basic outline, but
it needs some polishing.
In the late afternoon we went to a family’s home for dinner.
We stopped to pick up some fried
chicken and sides. We passed the mom on the way, waiting for the school bus. It
was arriving just as we got there. When we got to the house no one was home—the
man and his son had just finished fixing a truck and were test driving it. They
were back soon enough and we went inside and set up for dinner while we waited
for the mom and the girls.
We enjoyed dinner. They are a good family and the kids are
really well-mannered and sweet. They all thanked us many times for bringing dinner.
When we told them about the ice cream and berries they said they had not saved
enough room for them so we waited. We watched a movie they had wanted to see
for a long time. We then had ice cream and berries and really enjoyed it. Afterward
we watched “Treasures in Heaven”, the story of John Tanner. It is an amazing
story of a man who was converted to the church during the Kirkland period and
actually saved the Kirkland Temple by donating much of his vast fortune. We
were all very moved by the spirit there. We had a good discussion about living
the gospel and the blessings of the Lord in our lives. We ended with a family
prayer. It was a wonderful evening. I really enjoyed being with their family
and feeling of their goodness.
Saturday we went to the flea market. That is always fun. When
we returned home, I worked on my seminary lesson. I
think it’s about ready to go. By night I was exhausted.
No comments:
Post a Comment