Sacrament Meeting had about 70 people in attendance—a large
group. One family had several members visiting because they were blessing a
baby. The grandparents are in our branch. It was good. A lady gave a really
good talk, sharing a touching personal experience and likening it to living the
gospel. In Sunday School we gave our departing missionary the last Temple Prep
lesson. She shared her testimony. She’ll be a good missionary. She is really a
choice young woman and will do a great job.
In Relief Society the president asked about the patch on my
blouse. I stood up and told the sisters about the seminary lesson and helping
the kids remember their covenants. I told them it is our personal Title of
Liberty. I said I had some extras if anyone wanted one. They all took them. I
had the exact number for the ladies that were there. I taught the lesson and I
had hoped the sisters would participate more. One sister and I seemed to do
most of the talking. I appreciated her comments because she is one that I am
never really sure how she feels about me. She told me after class she enjoyed
the lesson.
After Relief Society I took pictures for the lady I was helping
with her website. She asked a sister to bring some of her fleece scarves to
photograph. She brought a couple of scarves she’d made of fabric. I put the
photos on her flash drive so she’ll have them for her project. Some ladies hung
around and visited while we were shooting. It was kind of fun.
Monday we attended home evening with the young adults. Pres.
and Sister Batt were just pulling out of the parking lot when we arrived. They were
trying to visit a new couple that just arrived. We decided it would probably be
easier to show them the way than try to tell them so we led them there. We took
the opportunity to meet the Kellys before heading back to the stake center.
They were just finishing up the thought and getting ready to play Werewolf
again. We played a couple of rounds with them then left to get home and get to
bed because of our early rise on Tuesday.
Tuesday we were up at 4 am to get to Thoreau for a 6 am
seminary class. The teacher did a great job. She is extremely animated. She has
3 kids from a family in her class who are also very vocal, so it was a lively
class. The other three kids didn’t say much. I suggested she mix them up so the
siblings weren’t next to each other. I’m not sure it would change anything, but
it would make for better grouping for exercises. Afterward we visited with a lady from Sitka,
Alaska. Her family is participating in a Run Across America to ban GMO products
and seeds. It was freezing cold with a brisk wind so I’m glad I wasn’t doing
the run.
When we got home I worked on seminary. I put some thoughts
together for my lesson Sunday. I was really tired, but I didn’t want to take a
nap because I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night.
Wednesday we were up early again to attend seminary in
Gallup. When we got there only two students were there—the girl who comes early
and the boy who rides with the teacher. The rest of the kids started wandering
in about 15 minutes late until there were 11 total in attendance. They talked
about contention. At the end he invited us to comment. I stood up and said they needed to
figure out how they were going to handle contention when it comes because it
will come and they can’t afford to lose the Holy Ghost. They were really dead,
so I’m not sure if they don’t want to talk or they are half asleep.
I spent the rest of
the day reviewing my seminary lesson and doing things around the house. We went
to the senior center for lunch and visiting. The lady who told me last week she
was a member, came over to say hi when we arrived and made a point of telling
us goodbye when she left. I think she feels a kinship with us now that we know
she is a member.
Thursday we went to the church to exercise—first time in
three days and it felt good. I prepared my stuff for the quilting class then
drove back to the church. I took the food into the church and unlocked the
front door, but I left the car door open. When I came back outside the car door
was shut. I had a strong impression not to go back into the building. I stood
by the car waiting for someone else to come so we could go in together. I
didn’t have the phone so I couldn’t call anyone. I finally gave up waiting just
before 10 and decided to get Ted to come to the church with me. When we got back to the church, we walked all
through the building and checked all the rooms but we didn’t find anything. Ted
wouldn’t leave until someone else came. I got some batting for my quilt. We took
the food out and Ted put the tables away. It was nearly 10:20. I went back
inside to write a note and just as we came out the president drove up. We told
her we were just leaving. Her husband had delayed her just as she was ready to
leave, as usual. I felt bad leaving, but it was time.
At home I laid out the pieces of batting—none was big enough
by itself, so I had to piece it. Since I had several weird pieces, I laid them
on top of each other until it was almost uniform thickness and about the right
size. I then sewed the pieces together. At first I was kneeling on the floor,
but after lunch we cleared the table off and I worked on the table. That worked
much better. I cut a sheet and pressed it for the backing and pinned the layers
together. It is now ready to sew. This took much longer than I would have
liked, but it is partly because of the way I did it. I always seem to
complicate things so they take too long. I would like to get it done soon so I
can give it to a man that has been very sweet to us and I’d like to thank him
for his friendship.
Friday I worked on seminary a bit. I spent most of the
morning making cookies for the missionary’s “get together” after church Sunday.
I made two kinds and it took until mid-afternoon. I also juiced a bunch of
lemons we had. There were 15-20 of them and it had to be done by hand, so my
hand hurt at the end of the process. The lemon juice also made me painfully
aware of every cut and scratch I had on my hands.
The man we were with was going to do his parents’ sealing and
then be sealed to them himself. The man in charge visited with him for a bit and our
friend shared some thoughts about his family. He and his wife were proxies for
his parents’ sealing then Ted was proxy for his father while he was sealed to
his parents. At the end, I was proxy for the man’s mom being sealed to her
parents. It was very emotional during the ordinance and I wasn’t sure the man
was going to make it. He is such a tough bird that he doesn’t want to let on
that he is really soft inside. It was a very spiritual event and I’m grateful
to have been part of it. The interesting thing is that his dentures were being
redone and they didn’t turn out correctly. Otherwise, he would have been on his
annual bike trip and the sealings would still be waiting. I think the Lord may
have had a hand in it.
| Costco's Bagpipe Player |
No comments:
Post a Comment