We went to Tohlakai after the meeting. We were there to observe
the seminary class and offer help. I was disappointed that one of my students no
longer comes to church or seminary. She was doing so well. Another seems to
have tuned out. The other two students are doing well. The entire time was
spent on scripture mastery scriptures. The teachers have abbreviated some to
make them easier for the kids. They are behind on the lessons, so I’m not sure how
they’ll finish. I suggested they select one principle from the lesson that they
focus on each week so they can get through the book.
Monday (3/24) we loaded the car. It’s a good thing I like to
do puzzles, because it was definitely a puzzle trying to get everything into
the car. We stopped at a trading post along the way to look around. There was a
lot of petrified wood, some big enough for a small table top, that had been
polished and finished. It was beautiful, but it cost anywhere from $1500 to
$2100.
| Stop to see petrified wood |
Our reason for going to Las Vegas was to help with our new
grandson, so that was primarily what we did. We did not visit anyone or tell
many that we were coming because our time was focused on helping our son’s
family. Our sweet grandson is a beautiful baby and I enjoyed a lot of grandma
time with him and his two older brothers. The time passed way too quickly and
all too soon it was time to come back to New Mexico.
The night we arrived we had home evening with our son’s
family. They asked me to share some things about missionary work. I felt
prompted to get my Book of Mormon and talk with the boys about the visit of the
Savior. It was a wonderful experience. I talked about the people hearing the
voice and Christ coming. I talked about their feeling the wounds in His hands
and side. I talked about His healing the sick and blessing the children. I
asked the boys many times to imagine what it would have been like to be there.
I also talked about our not having to touch His hands or have His hands on our
heads to feel His love. I shared my testimony of the Savior and His love for
us. I really hope they felt it because I felt a strong Spirit there.
Wednesday (4/2) after breakfast and some brief visiting, we
kissed everyone goodbye and left for New Mexico. We had a good trip home. About
the time we got into Arizona we started having light snow. There were winter
weather warnings posted several times along the way. A couple of times it got
fairly heavy, but it never stayed. We stopped on the way to see the Meteor Crater
between Flagstaff and Holbrook. It was really windy, so the tours could not go
outside. (They said the winds were around 60 mph. It had been around 90 mph a
few days earlier and up to 120 mph on some occasions.) We went out to the
observation point behind the building and it was really cold and windy. A girl
told us not to go to the upper deck because she almost got blown away. I can
believe it. It was almost dark when we got home, so we quickly unloaded the
car. Our smoke/CO alarms were beeping in the house. Ted had unplugged the power
and that triggered the CO alarm, but we’re not sure why the smoke alarm was
beeping. We got everything put away then went to bed. We were exhausted.
| Meteor Crater--1 mile across and the size of 20 football fields! |
Thursday we found it had snowed during the night and there
was a light covering on the ground. When we finished walking we found several large
gravel trucks had stopped on the road, apparently waiting for a snow ploy or
sand truck before going up the mountain to McGaffey. Just a note, we had left
our winter coats in Vegas because it had been warm when we left here. Ironic!
The Relief Society president came by to get me for our
quilting class. She told me she had given up on her quilt and had thrown it
away. I was flabbergasted. I thought she was kidding and questioned her again
and again, but she was adamant that it had frustrated her so much that she had
thrown it away. It was gone. I told her we could have at least used the fabric
in something else. I was ready to turn around and not come back—just walk out
the door and stop the entire project. She then told me she’d had some
difficulties, but she had finished it yesterday. She had it at the church to
show me. It was really beautiful. She had turned the binding from the front to
the back—I loved it. I took pictures, but I told her I nearly cried when she’d
told me she’d quit. She was just so excited to be done. This is the lady whose teacher
in high school had told her she’d never be able to sew. She had already picked
out fabric to make a couple of throw quilts. Success!
| Sister Leggett with her quilt--finally finished! |
We discussed my idea to make flannel blankets and burp
cloths for babies. We got out the flannel and cut some pieces. She sewed one
together for a pattern. It turned out really cute. She was quite excited about
the idea. I need to call the hospital to see if it is OK, but I think this
would make a great project and maybe spark more interest.
In the evening I graded part of my student’s makeup work. I
only did about half because it was so difficult. We had a call from the Zuni
elders that they had 5 people at their institute class. They needed more books.
Great!
Friday Ted had to get the car serviced in Gallup and was
able to connect with our supervisor and get the manuals we need. I stayed at
home and worked. I finished tying a small quilt then attended the Online
Seminary teachers’ monthly meeting. Even though I am no longer teaching, they
suggested I attend so I can stay up on what is happening in the system. It was
a good meeting. I had a question on how to record work for my student that
moved from online to home study so it gives him full credit. They are on two
different schedules. It is very confusing.
| My finished quilt. |
Saturday we went to Gallup to watch and listen to General
Conference. It was wonderful. I really enjoyed listening to our leaders. Between
sessions a family had bought pizza for the missionaries and invited us to join
them. We enjoyed the food and visited with them during the break. In the
evening Ted went to Priesthood Meeting and I cooked our mammoth squash. That’s
one task that is done.
No comments:
Post a Comment