Elder and Sister Roeth

Elder and Sister Roeth

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Week Ending February 15, 2014

Sunday we taught the first lesson of the Temple Preparation course to help our missionary get ready to go to the temple. She is a very sweet girl and very spiritually in tune. After the block we had a teacher training class. They talked about preparing ahead of time then letting the Spirit do the teaching then played an interview with Elder Bednar about teaching. I need to listen to several more times.

At home I set up seminary for the week. I called a student to let her know she has 10 lessons that are almost complete. She told me her class schedule has changed and she could go to early morning seminary. It would be much better for her because she has trouble making time for the lessons. I told her I enjoyed having her in the class, but she should do what she feels is best. If she goes it would leave my class with three active students, so I think they should be moved to other classes. It caused me to have a bit of trouble sleeping.

Monday the elders came to do their wash. We had not had the opportunity to hear Elder Dean sing for us in church—he was only here one transfer—so I asked him to sing for us before he leaves. He sang several hymns including “Lead, Kingly Light” for me and “Be Still, My Soul” for Ted. He has a nice tenor voice and I really enjoyed it. Afterward we time planning our visits to seminaries and institutes for the month. Some are still up in the air, but we have a lot calendared.

I phoned my online supervisor to discuss the student that may move to early morning seminary. She wanted to talk the situation over with her boss. She texted me back later saying he wants her to move to early morning and thought we should move the others to other classes. As I thought about the move I became concerned about one student. The new class meets at 5:20 am, a huge change from 5 pm, but when we go on daylight savings time, it will be 4:20 am in Arizona.

We attended home evening and had fun. The young man from our branch was there. Sarah gave him information on doctors for his mission paper work. She is an amazing woman. She has such a good heart and is so concerned about serving these young adults. She is the perfect person for the position.

Our Home Evening Group

Tuesday we started by teaching our second lesson for Temple Prep. We had more time than we normally would at church, so we had much more discussion. At noon we went to the senior center. I visited with a couple of people while we worked on a puzzle. The lunch was pretty good. They had food left from the last donation so took some to deliver.

I worked on my seminary lesson in the afternoon to prepare for Thursday. I feel a little like I’ll be giving a last lecture.  We’ll have a conference call in the afternoon on Thursday to discuss whether we’re moving my students, but I think it’s pretty much of a done deal. It makes me sad. It won’t be any worse than it has been for much of the year, but I know it is right for the girls.

In the evening we visited Sarah’s institute class in Gallup. She did an excellent job. There were 6 students, which is really good. She involved them and had a good focused discussion. After class we visited with her a bit. I encouraged her to have the students keep a journal or notebook to record thoughts and impressions during their reading and during class.

Wednesday we worked at home in the morning. Late morning we drove to Thoreau for the eastern inservice class. We each got a list of all the kids on the rolls of our branches and were asked what was being done to rescue the ones not attending. Our records are so out of date that many of the ones on the list are not in the branch. After we did that we went through a scripture squeeze like we had at Grants.

When we finished there we visited Jack Surprise. We did not intend to buy anything, but we ended up getting a bowl—it looked more like a plate to me and had wavy edges—sort of a lumpy bowl. He also told me he’d give me a pot with the mountain etched on it when we come back. He had taken the turquoise off it because he ran out, so he wants to put the stone back on. It had cracked when he took it out of the kiln. We stopped to get some peanuts to sustain us until we could find something more to eat. We drove to Crownpoint and went to the deli in the supermarket to get something to eat. There is really nowhere else to eat in either place.

After dinner we asked for directions to the church. They were a little vague so it took us a couple of tries and another inquiry, but we got there about 10 minutes before class. We were actually in plenty of time since the kids were half an hour late. We had a good visit with the teacher who also teaches online and will be getting three of my students. I had asked her earlier about me team teaching so I could take care of the makeup work for a student. I asked her again this evening and once again she was adamant that she did not need any assistance.

In class she involved the students in team teaching with Ted and me assisting the two groups. I think they would have done better without us because we too involved. She has cute kids and seems to have no problem getting them to participate. They were all very sweet about shaking our hands and telling us thanks for coming. And they even mentioned us by name in their prayer. We left there about 7:45 pm. Ted was tired and it was about an hour’s drive, so I was really glad to get home.

Thursday I went to the church for quilting. I took my fabric, quilt top, and batting so I could pin the layers together. I used the newly cut boards and it went OK except when they fell off the backs of the chairs. Our regular lady came and sewed. I’m really glad she came because I needed her help a couple of times when I rolled the ends and reset the boards. Her friend came by and admired both of our quilts. She said she’d come back next week to make one herself. I had made my amazing squash recipe. We each had two servings before we called it quits.

I graded some seminary assignments. One of my students is actually up to date for this term, a first in our experience together. We had our conference call with my supervisor, the coordinator, and the new teacher. I told them I felt it would be the best thing for the girls. It will be hard to give it up, but I know the girls will do well. The other teacher basically said she could handle however many we gave her. Her class will be about 17 students, so they will close it. They asked me to give the closing prayer and I had a difficult time speaking. I am really going to miss the girls.

After the call I emailed the list of students and where each was being moved. I looked at seminary a bit then worked on my rug. I talked to the early morning student before class because I wanted to tell the girls at the end of class today. We had a good conversation. She is planning to get married in the summer so we talked a bit about that. I told her the decision that had been made. She said she had been praying about it and felt OK with that.

We had a good seminary class. One student was not there which was a little frustrating. I would have liked to have made the announcement one time and had it over. Our discussion was good and the girls gave some good mini lessons about the character of the people in the war chapters of the Book of Mormon. At the end I told them all what was happening and the transition plan and told them I loved them. One of them, bless her heart, told me that they all loved and appreciated me as well. I am thankful for that, not because I need to hear it, but it felt good and made me feel a little less like I was letting them down. We had a closing prayer and it was over.

We left immediately for the ball game and got there just after it had started. Our girls didn’t do as well as they could have. We started the second half behind by about 20 points, but they came up to within 2 points. It was a really tight game that could have been won. We left after the JV game so we could get to bed fairly early. It was an exhausting day.

Friday was Valentine’s Day. We got up at 4 am so we could leave at 5:15 am for Ramah to visit a class. We weren’t sure where to go so we got there very early. We wondered if we were in the right place until a truck drove up and waited. Finally, a young man got out of the truck and it drove away. He stood there in the cold for a while until we invited him to sit in our car. The teacher arrived about 10 minutes late then the kids started arriving. A few of the kids shook hands and introduced themselves and welcomed us to class. It was a good lesson and the kids were mostly involved. Several of the kids shook our hands at the end and thanked us for coming. The teacher had to leave immediately after class for an appointment so we didn’t have much time to visit. We told her our online student would be coming next week. I thought she would be excited, but it was more like, “Oh, OK.” I hope my student does well. I know she has some challenges with the kids there and feeling like she fits in.

After class we went to the Stagecoach CafĂ© for breakfast. We were immediately greeted by a man named Marvin Lewis. He welcomed us and introduced us to everyone that came in. His son was the owner and he gets to make pancake batter every morning. He is the stake patriarch and is 91 years old. He told us a lot about the town and we had a good visit and a good breakfast. I visited briefly with a couple at the table next to us that apparently were regulars. She was reading a book about Chaucer and I asked about that as it doesn’t seem like everyday reading for people.

From there we drove to Zuni to meet with the elders. We had accidentally left our phone home and we thought they lived at the church. When we got there, there was no trailer for them. We went to the visitors center and they told us they lived by the church at the Paywa Bakery. We went there and talked with a man who took Ted inside where a woman gave him directions to their home. It was a little vague, but she said she’d tell her husband to meet us. We got near the place and pulled over to ask a policeman if he knew where they lived. A car pulled up behind us and began honking. It turned out that the husband of the lady at the bakery is the branch mission leader so he led us to their home. The elders were not at home so we gave him the books we had brought. We had an interesting visit with him. He had served a mission in the area many years ago and then came back after many years. He was a real character with a very loud laugh.

I made a few phone calls about the seminary change. I talked with the girl who had missed class and told her the scoop. I think she is looking forward to having more kids in the class. When I told her there would be 17 kids, she said, “Oh, wow!” I hope she doesn’t fade into the background. I sent the new teacher an email with a little about the girls and what makeup work was still due. I was able to talk with another teacher later and tell her a little about the one student she’ll have. I think she’ll be in good hands.

Saturday I made cookies and worked on my rug. I got things ready for Sunday. I graded seminary lessons and sent out emails about the changes. In the afternoon we attended the baptism of a man in our branch. I knew he had a girl friend, but I didn’t realize she was the daughter of the former branch president of the Tohlakai branch. She was there with her parents and cousins. I’m really not sure how they were all related because cousins are “sisters”. One lady from Tohlakai always tells me how glad she is to see me. I had no idea how she fit into the picture until she explained she was the sister to the girlfriend’s mother. The mother gave a wonderful talk on baptism—the best I have heard. She really spoke from her heart. Ted gave a talk on the Holy Ghost and did a wonderful job.

Elder Crofoot, Tyson Bahe, Elder McClaren

I was sitting visiting when they started the meeting. I casually opened the program as they announced the opening song and saw that I was the chorister. I hurriedly took my coat off and grabbed a hymn book. I’m glad I looked at the program. They had told me they needed a chorister a couple of times and I’d said I could do it, but the branch president never agreed to having me do it so I was totally caught off guard. Afterward they had a light meal of sandwiches, chips, and cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment