Elder and Sister Roeth

Elder and Sister Roeth

Monday, January 20, 2014

Week Ending January 11, 2014

Sunday Ted taught Adult Education, but I didn’t have seminary. He arranged with his student to discuss whatever she needed, so it wasn’t a regular lesson. We had a discussion about Isaiah, but we got off topic onto other subjects. We had 74 people in church today. That’s amazing.

In the evening we went home teaching. The husband’s mom passed away a year ago, so I set up my computer with the hotspot and we got her records ready for the temple. Their daughter’s husband also needs to have work done for his mom. I offered to help them so their granddaughter can go with them and do the baptisms.

Monday Ted took the car to get oil changed. In the afternoon we went to Tohlakai to meet with the senior missionaries. We had a wonderful meal and a good visit. We actually got to play a couple of rounds of a game before we had to leave. At home evening Sarah brought fried chicken to celebrate one young man’s finally getting his notice to return to his mission. He is leaving Wednesday and is super excited. We played a game called Logos that was a little fun and a lot crazy. We had so many kids that we ran out of chairs and they had to bring in a weight bench to seat some of the people. Good sign.

Tuesday I worked on seminary, reviewing and grading lessons. My newest student, who just joined the class three weeks before Christmas, actually has the highest percentage of completed assignments for Term 2. She has done all the makeup work for lessons that I asked. She is now working on making up classes. I’m impressed with her diligence. I’m a little frustrated with some of the students because they have not done any of their makeup work and we only have 4 weeks left in the term.

In the evening we went to the girls’ basketball game. We got there at half time for the C team. They were tied when we got there, but they quickly lost ground and gave away the game. The JV team did well at the start, but as the game progressed they just randomly shot at the basket without taking their time. They ended up at the half 21 points behind. Second half they came back to within 2 points of the other team, but then they just threw the ball away. I’m not sure what their plan was, but they didn’t do a good job. My student fouled out, as did two others. I’m not sure the referees always called the game as I would have, but the girls lost it soundly by themselves.

Wednesday we went to the Iyanbito Senior Center for lunch. There weren’t many people there, but we had a good visit with a lady we know. She gave us information for her children and some siblings so we can update the church records.

Small quilt, partially quilted

Thursday I went to the church at 9:30 as we had agreed. I found some sheets that would work as backing for my quilts and I found a piece of batting that is perfect for the small quilt. Well, almost perfect, if I cut a ¼ inch off all the way around. I’m not sure how to put it together. Tying would be fastest, but with the way I made the blocks, I think it would look nicer quilted. I think I’ll try it on the machine. One lady came about 10:30. I got her started sewing then I went to cut the backing for my small quilt and pin the layers together. When I was done, we put our sewing away and ate lunch. She is a little frustrated that it isn’t going faster, but she only sews on it a little bit at a time. 

Big quilt top

About an hour before seminary I began reviewing my lesson material and setting up the classroom. One student was on a few minutes early so I visited with her. She is in a horse competition on Jan. 25, so I may go to Holbrook so I can support her. Two others were also in class. I got an email after class saying the 4th student was in Utah where her sister-in-law just had a baby. At the end of class I did a Scripture Mastery review, asking each of the girls questions and moving to the next if they didn’t have the answer. Each girl got 3 points. It was kind of fun—at least I think they liked it.

After class I had some chips and dip then we left for institute. I was really pleased when a young man from our branch came to the class. He didn’t want anything to do with seminary last year, and very little to do with the church. Now he is preparing for a mission. He is a deacon so he has a way to go, but he seems committed to it. One of our regulars came and it turned out they were good friends in high school. In fact, she was pretty bold at asking him what he was doing there and when he started going to church. I was pleased that they knew each other. As it turned out, they were the only ones that came. The lesson was quite good and we had a good time afterward with games.

Friday I had volunteered to help with the young missionaries’ zone conference. It was our branch’s turn to help serve the lunch, so I picked up a young woman in the branch to go. There were 4 other ladies as well. The food was catered, so all we had to do was set up tables and dish food.  Then we had to clean up. It was a good experience to listen in on Pres. and Sis. Batt as they taught the missionaries. I was touched.

The young woman and I had a good visit as we drove. Her mission papers went in last night—yeah!! I’m excited to hear where she is going. Her dad thinks she’s going to Portugal because that’s where he went, but we’ll see. She says she wants to go somewhere where she can have a hot shower, but her dad said that is not going to happen.

I studied all afternoon, grading papers for seminary and preparing the lesson for Relief Society Sunday. In the evening we went to the girls’ basketball game. They played better than the other night, but it was a fairly disappointing game. I think they lost by a landslide. They did better most of the game, but they gave the ball away more often than they kept it. A couple of girls especially would just throw it toward another player but it was always when she was surrounded by the other team. The other team guarded very tightly and our team guarded not at all. It was really pathetic.

Saturday our internet and our phone weren’t working so Ted went to the trading post to use their internet. I was in the process of buying a loom and the man who was making it came in the morning. As it turned out, the man brought the loom with him, all finished. However, he only had 5 foot sides on it and he didn’t bring all the tools. He will bring the other pieces I need next time. I’ll get my yarn and we’ll meet on the 20th so he can teach me how to set everything up and weave. He told me to study the loom until I know it well so when he comes back I can put it together again.

I sewed a little on the small quilt. I was able to do quite a bit on the sewing machine. It is good practice effort and I hope I get better, but it will work out well. I did about a third of the framing stripes and really like how it is turning out. In the evening I worked on all the stuff I hadn’t been able to do during the day while Ted had my computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment