Monday we did things around the house. In the afternoon we
met with the other senior couples for dinner and visiting. After that we went
to family home evening with the young single adults. That is always an
interesting experience.
Tuesday Ted went with a man in the branch to help him get
wood. They planned to go to Grants to pick up permits, but Ted was unable to reach
anyone at the ranger’s office. It turned out they are closed due to the
government shut down. The man already had his permits left from last year.
We got a new elder, Elder McClaren, from Alaska. He’s a
visa-waiter going to Brazil. I think he’ll be good.
Wednesday I studied and prepped for seminary. I seem to do a
lot of that. I’ve been feeling rather frustrated lately. Today I began to
actually feel I could keep up with the work I need to do.
We went to the senior center for lunch. Just as we were
getting ready to eat they had a fire drill. Everyone had to walk outside the
gate which took some much longer than others. It took probably five minutes to
get everyone out. If they’d had a real fire we’d have burned to death. They
said they have two wheelchairs in the back. They need to use those to get the
slow ones out faster.
At seminary in the afternoon the lady who gives two students
a ride said they told her they didn’t need one. They never came. I’m really not
sure what is happening since this is the second week they have missed. The other
two girls came and we had a good lesson. They try so hard to understand and
they are such sweet girls. I just need to try a little harder to help them.
From there we went to the Branch Council meeting. There was
really good attendance. Ted told them he was unable to get a permit to cut
wood, but they decided to move ahead with the plan anyway. It really makes me
nervous.
I told them the seminary students weren’t doing anything and
that seemed to unnerve them. I also told them we needed to begin looking for a
teacher to take our place when we leave. I don’t think that thought had occurred
to them before.
Thursday I got up late so we didn’t walk. As I got things
together for the quilting meeting, it began raining, sometimes hard and
sometimes gently, but continuously. Ted made some tuna for me to take and I put
some rolls out to raise. Ted went to the church with me to help set up tables.
I wasn’t sure anyone was coming because of the weather. The president arrived
about 10:45 and then the burrito lady arrived shortly thereafter. We had a good
meeting and got stuff done.
When we finished eating we noticed it was snowing outside.
We looked out the front door and it was a literal blizzard. After we got things
cleaned up and headed out to the cars it had totally stopped. Then just as I
got into the car it started raining lightly. After we drove out, I had to shut
the gate and it was raining fairly well again so I got cold and wet. Then I had
to unload the car at home—I was glad to get inside.
When it was time for my online class only one student was in
attendance. One had told me she was going to be out of town. I tried calling the
third girl but their power was out. The two of us had a good discussion. She is
really a cute girl and has a good testimony. She came in second in the rodeo
queen contest a couple of weeks ago. I suggested maybe next year she’d be first
place. She really loves rodeo and horses.
We had four students at institute. One of our former
students was there. She used to come all the time until she got a job as an EMT
and had to work every Thursday. It was good to have her back. We had a good
lesson and a good time playing games. One of the young men brought yummy pies
for dessert so we were set.
Friday morning in bed I was thinking of all the challenges
and the frustrations we have right now. I had a very clear impression that I
should count the good things happening and not the things we don’t have. It
made a strong impression on me and I realized that is what I need to do. After
I got up we went walking again. It was so cold outside—around 30. That’s not so
bad in and of itself, but it’s only October. The ground was muddy, but covered
with frost, even snow in some places.
Ted and I drove up past McGaffey Lake (which now has water
in it, by the way) to try to find the place to get the firewood a lady told us
about. After driving 20 miles, and talking with a man that told us there was
plenty ready to cut and take but our car wouldn’t make it, we turned around and
went home.
I spent the rest of the afternoon grading seminary
assignments. It is frustrating because some of the students have just bits and
pieces of days not done so I can’t close them out.
Saturday Ted went with the branch to collect wood for some
members that are in need. I did some preparation for my lesson for Sunday. I
had a call from a sister telling me there was a craft sale in town, so I drove
over and met her there. There were some really cute things. One lady had made
some really beautiful quilts, but most were too small for anything and too
expensive for my pocket book. There were some nice things, but I didn’t get
much. I did get some great ideas though for things we can make.
I worked on seminary in the afternoon. In the evening I laid
out the strips for the quilt and started grouping pieces for blocks. When I got
to the last nine blocks and didn’t have the strips I should have had (per my
calculations), I decided to stop. I need to go back to the blocks I’ve grouped
and see if they have the right components in them. I ended up with almost twice
as many strips of one size and none of another size. I probably got them mixed
up. And the last few blocks didn’t have a good combination of strips so I may
end up cutting some different fabrics for them. I’m sure it will look cute in
the end, but I’ve tried to group the blocks in a semi-coordinated way.
No comments:
Post a Comment