We went home teaching in the evening. Ted again talked about
temples and challenged the husband to go to the temple. I invited them to come
with us on the 20th. He hemmed and muttered a bit and said he
couldn’t think why he shouldn’t then he agreed. I was amazed.
Monday evening we went to family home evening. We had a
large number of kids which was exciting. We played a card game called Nertz.
Tuesday we had a call that a member had passed away on
Saturday. I’m happy for her—maybe she can find the peace she desires.
Apparently, her uncle died on Sunday so they are having a joint funeral. The
aunties didn’t want the funeral at our building so it will be held at a Christian
Reformed Church.
We ate lunch at the senior center, arriving a few minutes
early and visiting with people. The chairman gave me some yarn to start doing
some weaving and some idea on how to do it. While we were eating our mutton
stew they brought in crates of produce. It was from the food pantry and we were
given some. We held back so everyone could get theirs first. We got a
watermelon and 4 heads of lettuce along with a bag of jalapeno peppers.
We also got some for some others from church. There was lots
of lettuce and hardly anyone took any. We went to one sister’s house to visit
with her. She was at her mom’s showering—she doesn’t yet have water in her
home. (She said she went without electricity for two years.) We left her some
lettuce. Then we headed to another home to deliver more. The lady really needed
someone to talk with. I held her hand and visited a bit then we left. She had
been very close to the lady who passed away.
Wednesday the elders asked us to go with them to review the
baptism interview questions with a lady. They had to pick us up because we had
some rain and knew the road wasn’t going to improve by being wet. From there we
went to another home to give a lady a blessing. We visited a while then the men
gave her the blessing. Her husband has been having some issues as well so I
asked if he needed a blessing. He said he didn’t think so, but she told him he
did so they gave him a blessing as well.
At home we studied a bit before heading to Tohlakai. One family
called to tell us they still don’t have a car so we offered to pick them up. Oh
my goodness. We allowed ourselves what we thought was plenty of time, but we
took much longer on the road than anticipated. We had to call the other family to
tell them we’d be late. The road was about 2 ½ miles long and we couldn’t go
anywhere near normal speed on any of it. Then we had to go back out to get to
the church. At seminary we combined with the adults for a video and short
discussion then we separated to finish up. We had to take the family home so we
had two more trips on the road. We didn’t get out to the highway again until
after 7:30. After a couple of stops, we picked up a pizza and headed home.
Thursday we took another couple with us to the double
funeral. It was nice. We didn’t know the uncle, but there was a large crowd and
the majority of them were there for him. He met his wife at BYU so I’m sure
they were both members. They talked about his devotion to his Navajo ways and
his daughters wore traditional dress. He was a very successful business man who
owned an electric company that actually does work. It was a bit unusual in that
they played three Western songs as part of the funeral service.
After the service, the mortuary people opened up both
caskets and arranged things so they could have a viewing. Everyone had to file
past the two caskets and shake hands with about 2 dozen people to get to the
exit. The man looked very happy—our friend looked at peace. I was impressed that
the men in attendance were all in their best jeans, all cleaned up, with button
shirts, neckerchiefs, clean boots, and hats. Lots of women were in shorts or
pants—that is their way to just come in their regular clothes. Some were
dressed up, but not many. But they all seemed to be very touched by the service
and wanted to express their condolences to the family members. A group of men
from the electric company all wore signs on their backs like people wear when
they run races with the man’s birth year as the number and his death year at
the bottom. Apparently, he died suddenly while running a marathon on Sunday.
Several of the men had the traditional braided hair. The people from the
company had shirts embroidered with a tribute to his memory. It was very
impressive.
We had to leave early for institute to get water and get the
building set up. Missionary Prep got rescheduled for the same time so we weren’t
sure who would come. We were amazed when we had 6 students come to institute.
All but one were kids that will still be here after school starts. There were
four others that were in mission prep that should be coming as long as we are
on opposite weeks or until they leave on missions. One should be permanent and
should bring his brother and sister. I was so thrilled.
Friday we had our seminary/institute inservice meeting at 7
AM. It was a really good meeting and I really enjoyed it. Our supervisor is
really helpful. I asked him if he could visit institute on 7/25 and he agreed. I
suggested maybe he could teach the section I had volunteered for to show us how
he teaches and give the kids some help with their teaching. He’s so good that I
know he’ll be able to give us a lot of help.
The church is starting online seminary. I thought that would
mean that the kids would do the work online and then come to class on Saturday,
but they would have a virtual group meeting once a week. That would take half
my class. I guess I’m feeling a bit possessive of the kids and don’t want to
give them away. The supervisor decided I could still have them in my class and
they could do the work online. He called this afternoon to suggest I get
trained to be an online teacher then the kids would be totally in my group and
there wouldn’t be any issues. OK by me.
We stopped for burritos at Lottaburger on the way home. They
are a local chain that is noted for their breakfast burritos. I enjoyed mine
thoroughly.
In the evening we went to the stake center for a baptism.
Ted played the piano and we gave the prayers. It was a very nice service and the
lady and her son were very happy. She had brought refreshments for everyone, so
we had a bit of a visit afterward.
We’ve had some strong rains lately. It’s monsoon season and
the storms hit hard and fast then blow over. There has been a lot of lightning.
It makes the air really smell fresh and clean. And it gets fairly cool in the
night time.
Saturday was seminary. After class we cleaned the building. The
branch president’s family came. I haven’t seen the group work together so well
and with so many people helping. We got home about 11:30. I cleaned up the last
three desks from Tohlakai and we moved them into the classroom. I now have 10
desks in a room that should have 10-12 chairs. It is cozy, but I think it will
work well.
I invited the seminary students today to go to the temple on
7/27 instead of having class. They thought that would be a good idea and all
wanted to participate. I really think that would be a great finish to our year.
In the late afternoon we went to the home of the lady who
was baptized. It was her nephew’s birthday party. All her aunts and uncles were
really sweet and welcomed us to the party. When we arrived there were five
women standing in a semi-circle around another woman who was near a pan of oil
cooking on a fire. Those in the circle were all patting balls of dough into
large flat round disks which they took turns putting into the pan of oil. The
woman cooking would prick the bubbles in the dough and turn the piece as it
cooked then put it in a large pan. They were making fry bread. I visited with
them and probably could have tried shaping a piece but I didn’t. At one point I
actually held a shaped disk until the pan was empty, at which point I put my piece
on.
I introduced myself to the ladies. Each lady told me she was
a sister, “sister cousin” to our friend. They were the same generation as our
friend so they were sisters. When the boy opened his gifts, many were from
“Grandma and Grandpa” something. I know he really had only two grandmothers
there, but their generation was all grandparents to the boy. It makes for a
challenging family history puzzle, but it is an amazing relationship they all
have with each other. The mother of the boy, whose mother had been cooking the
fry bread, had married our friend’s brother. She said in her comments to the
group that she was so grateful to be married into a family that they could
really feel close to and feel their support. It was an amazing experience.
I visited quite a bit with a lady who said she’d come to Relief
Society with her niece one of these evenings. She was very nice. Another aunt
told the missionaries they could come by to visit with her. The hostess thanked
everyone for coming and told them how happy she was that she had been baptized
and bore her testimony. It was very touching. Her brother also shared his
feelings with everyone about coming to his son’s party. They were really a
great family and I continue to be impressed with how close they are. It started
to rain and blow right in the middle of dinner so we had to grab the food and
run into the house. It was still fun with everyone jammed into the house.
No comments:
Post a Comment