Elder and Sister Roeth

Elder and Sister Roeth

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Pictures from El Morro - June 3, 2013

I enjoyed the pictures taken at El Morro and wanted to share more than the weekly post would comfortably take. El Morro is also called Inscription Mountain because many travelers, starting in the 1600's, wrote their names, and sometimes their comments, into the sandstone rock. The inscriptions are somewhat difficult to read in the photographs so I included the information from the guidebook for a couple.

There are two trails to hike: 1) The inscription only trail which is about 1/2 mile, easy walking; 2) The hike to the top of the mountain which takes about 2 hours. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I agreed to go to the top, but there was a senior missionary who wanted to go and it looked like she would have to go alone if we didn't do it. When we started hiking another couple joined us that had done the hike before. I'm really glad they were along as the trail wasn't always the best marked. It was fairly steep and challenging, with a few places where there were several stairs that took away my breath. I'm glad we took the long hike now that we're back, but at the time I wasn't sure I was going to make it. Fortunately, the second half was all downhill. I hope you enjoy.


El Morro - Inscription Rock



Zuni Ruins



Kiva, still used by Zuni today for special ceremonies



Hand-carved Stairs



From the top - where IS the trail?



From the top



Wookpecker Rock



Another view of Woodpecker Rock



Elder Roeth, Ranger, Sister Steele, Elder Steele, Sister Ashcroft



Zuni Ruins



From the top



J. F. Heath, Aug 2, 1787



Visit by a Bishop from Durango, Mexico; 28 Sep 1737 (See Book #18)



Book #18; 28 Sep 1737



Multiple Inscriptions



P. Gilmer Breckinridge, 1859 (See Book #8)



Book #8, P. (Peachy) Breckinridge



Watering Hole for thirsty travelers



Watering Hole with Cattails

  

Back side of Inscription Rock



Interesting Tree



Sister Ashcroft and Sister Roeth



Beautiful Rock on side of mountain


 

No comments:

Post a Comment