Elder and Sister Roeth

Elder and Sister Roeth

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Week Ending May 18, 2013

Sunday, Mother’s Day, was a good day. We had great attendance at church. The meeting was a little unusual in that the counselor conducting said they had not assigned speakers so they asked the youth to talk about their moms. That took about 5-10 minutes. They asked if there were any others that would like to speak. A visitor stood up and spoke for about 15 minutes about families and the Atonement. He was the foster father of a man in the branch whose daughter had graduated the day before. After he spoke, the daughter of the lady that died two weeks ago stood up and shared her feelings. It was a very emotional experience for her but she said she and her grandma wanted to be in church because that was where her mom would have been. I was very touched by her expression of love for her mother.

The branch president talked for a few minutes then asked me to come up and share my thoughts. I told them how touched I was by their feelings for family, that they, as a people, have great care and loyalty for their families. It is rare to find a family that is not multi-generational and that does not include more than just parents and children. I told them we felt we had been welcomed into their family and were grateful for that. After church they passed out flowers and bags of chocolate drops to the mothers. It was a good gesture. Also one of the ladies had brought me a corsage which I thought was sweet.

Happy Mother's Day!

After church we were told we needed to select a site for the picnic on Memorial Day, so we took another couple and drove up to McGaffey to look around. We decided the dry lake bed would be a great site, with plenty of parking and a restroom nearby. Then we drove to a picnic area and found tables, barbecue stands, shade, and restrooms all in a close vicinity. There would be a $5 charge per car, but that seemed like a good site.

When we finally got home Ted barbecued steaks—that was a nice change. We talked with all our children and some of our grandchildren. That was the highlight for me. I am very blessed to be the mother of wonderful children and I am grateful to Heavenly Father for the immense blessings He has poured out on our family. In the afternoon we had to deliver some of the Primary cards to the homes of kids who did not come to church today. Fortunately, there were just two families to see. The first was straight forward since we knew where they lived. The second was a little dicey. We had directions, but it took three tries down some fairly interesting dirt roads before we got to the right house. We did meet some nice people having their own family gathering and we found an abandoned house in a patch of very soft dirt, but it was an experience.

Monday I spent the time doing stuff in the house and studying. In the evening we went to the Young Single Adults Family Home Evening. We hope that our attending will help them want to come to institute. Some of the kids there already attend, but there are a few we could recruit. One young man fixed Navajo tacos. He actually cooked the fry bread outside while everyone else played a game. I thought it was unfortunate he was not able to play the game, but the food was yummy.

Tuesday I wasn’t feeling too well, so I walked slowly during our exercise session at the church. I was really glad when the time was up. I studied a lot during the day.

Wednesday I was still sick. I studied all day. In the evening Ted volunteered to take my seminary class for me so I went over the lesson with him. When he got to church two kids were there but their brother came later and went into the cultural hall to play ball until his sister retrieved him. While Ted was at the church the branch president told him he thought the picnic should be behind the church since we didn’t want to spend $5 a car for parking. I think that’s a silly decision, but I guess they have decided.

Thursday I studied more and rested a lot.

Friday I was tired. I seem to be getting better, but I haven’t been sleeping well and I don’t have a lot of energy. In the evening we drove to Tohlakai to teach seminary. I was thrilled when one of my students showed up that has missed the last four weeks. I asked if everything was OK and she said it was. She acted like nothing was wrong. I really can’t figure her out.

Saturday morning we woke early. I remembered a family was dropping their kids at the church to watch videos until seminary started. We had told them we would get the TV out of the library for them and we had forgotten to do it. Ted hurried and showered and drove to the church to get the TV out then returned home. Since the parents are temple workers now, Ted didn’t have a class so he came to mine. When we got to the church it was obvious the kids weren’t there. When the missionaries arrived a short time later they said the two kids weren’t coming. I was a little concerned since they were supposed to go to the temple with us. Another student was on her senior trip and another slept in so I had two students, the two missionaries, and Ted. It was a fairly disappointing show of kids. I talked with the kids about their end of year assignment that will be due in two weeks.

After seminary we dropped our stuff at the house then drove to the temple. I had planned to go with the kids to assist them. Ted had committed to help a family from our temple prep class who were bringing the lady’s father with them. We had told them the session would be in Navajo and they were looking forward to that. As it turned out, there were more English speakers than Navajo speakers so they decided to do the session in English. I was concerned that I would be disruptive to the session if I started coughing, so I did some other work. The temple ladies were really sweet and very grateful for my help. One of the first ladies turned out to be the mom of one of our institute students and we had a brief chat. Then a later worker had a last name of a friend from college and I asked her if she knew my friend. It was her husband’s cousin. Such a small world. Anyway, I was able to enjoy that experience.

Ted had talked with parents of the missing seminary kids while he was in the temple. They had asked when the kids could make up the lesson. I have no problem making up a lesson when there is a conflict or when it is pre-arranged. I don’t like to do it when they stayed up too late and didn’t want to come. I need to be more clear about what we will and will not do in the future. I also need to have a better system for them to do more of the learning and me less of the work. (I ended up suggesting they could do the workbook assignments for the chapters we'd studied and hand them in--that should give them opportunity to review what we talked about.)

No comments:

Post a Comment