They announced the baptism of a lady next Saturday at 10 AM.
I talked with a family whose daughter is going on a mission about when they
were going to the temple. We taught them in temple prep and had planned to go
with them. They told me they’ll be going next Saturday at 9 AM. It couldn’t be
a worse time. I have seminary right on top of that. I told them about seminary
but indicated I would see what I could do. I felt so bad. They really need to
have the support and I doubt anyone else will be going.
One big thing was our grandma came to church with her
husband, even without her granddaughter who was on a band trip. It was really
good to see them. He has something wrong with his shoulder that makes it
difficult for him to drive his truck so he is planning to retire. It was
monumental to have them come without the granddaughter. I’ve never seen it
before.
Late afternoon we drove to visit a family. On the way there
was unusual traffic. The bridge out of Ft. Wingate had about 8 cars lined up
trying to get onto Highway 66. Normally there might be one other besides us. We
noticed there was no traffic on Interstate 40 at all. A few of the cars that
drove by on 66 got onto the interstate at our entrance, but none of the trucks
did. About ½ a mile up the road we looked over at the interstate and saw a
backup of at least 100 trucks and a few cars. It went on for as far as we could
see. As we drove on we saw flashing lights and emergency vehicles. There was a
lot of litter and a large truck was on the shoulder with its back end destroyed.
As we passed we saw the ambulance pull away but it didn’t have any flashing
lights or siren going. Not good.
| Road Sign |
The lady we went to visit was outside trying to fix the door handle on her car. A friend had told her how to take off the door liner to get at the insides, and she was doing a good job until the end when it just wouldn’t come off. We tried to help but she decided to stop until someone who knew how could help. We talked to her about her kids and youth conference. They had bought new clothes for the kids and they were all excited to go and then they suddenly just decided not to. She didn’t know what had happened. She said she would try bringing them to church once she gets her car fixed. She thinks maybe if they got to know the others they might feel more like going. On the way out of their area we stopped and took pictures of some of the cute road signs. They were probably made by the school kids in the area.
| Road Sign |
From there we visited another home. We took a couple of bags of patterns to the wife. A lady’s sister was getting rid of them. She brought out an outfit she’d made of camouflage fabric. It was a nice skirt with a jacket top. It was beautifully sewn and very stylish, but I’m not sure why she picked the fabric she did. And she was disappointed she couldn’t find any more of it.
| Road Sign |
Monday Ted took the car in for service—I stayed at home and made bread and studied. Ted arrived just in time to eat a quick bite to eat. We were supposed to visit a lady from the senior center. I called to make sure she was home. She was not.
In the evening a family came over. They were about ½ an hour
late and we had begun to think they weren’t coming. We had tried calling but
couldn’t reach them. I think they must have got the time mixed up because they
are usually early for things. Ted gave them a brief home teaching message then
we talked about Easter and what Easter was all about. When I asked what Easter
was about, the 8-year old said the resurrection of Jesus. The 5-year old said
it was “all about bunnies, and jelly beans, and candy.” I guess age brings some
perspective. After we talked about the burial of Christ, we made Resurrection
Rolls. While they were baking we talked about the resurrection and read a few
scriptures together. The rolls didn’t turn out as well as hoped. We didn’t get
them sealed well and the marshmallows ran out all over the pan. They still
tasted good, but most of the sweet was on the pan.
Tuesday I studied most of the day. We were supposed to visit
a home in the evening to share a DVD clip from the youth conference because
their daughter is on it. She is leaving on a mission and we wanted to get a
picture of them before she leaves. The mom called about 5 PM to say she had to
work late and we needed to reschedule. She asked if we would be going to the
temple with them on Saturday and I told her we couldn’t make it. After I hung
up I felt really bad. I really wanted to be with them and I think they need the
support. We talked about it and decided to see if we could get it to happen. We
talked to our seminary students and they all said they could make it on
Wednesday when we do the makeup class. So we were able to arrange to go to the
temple on Saturday. I was so relieved. After that work, we took a loaf of bread
to a counselor in the branch presidency. We were grateful we found the right
house because we hadn’t been there before. He was just fixing dinner and was
grateful for the bread. He’s a good man and we told him how much we appreciated
all he did.
Wednesday we
had a lady over for lunch. She brought her father since she had to take
him to the doctor right after. We had a good visit and I think she enjoyed it.
Ted really enjoyed visiting with her dad who is a veteran, even though he is
very difficult to understand. I studied in the afternoon and was able to get my
lesson together. At 5 PM we went to read with a family. After we left there we
went to the church for seminary. We were quite early so we made copies then got
things set up. Ted practiced the piano for a while until our one student came.
Her brother decided to come on Saturdays again, but he’d already missed that. The
girl gave a good effort to answer all the questions. We took turns reading and
occasionally asked Ted to help out.
Thursday at Institute I told the students my daughter was in
labor and I would be watching my phone. During class she sent word the baby was coming. I told her to race Dad—would she deliver before he finished his
lesson. She texted back that the race was on—they were calling her doctor in. I
kept watching the clock wondering who would win. Just as Ted finished and was
calling on someone to pray I got a text from our son-in-law with a picture of our
cute 13th grandchild. She was born at 7:12 PM LV time. She was 8 lb
1 oz and 20 ½ in long. She’s a doll. It seems the doctor did not get there in
time and the nurses had to deliver the baby. All was well and they were feeling
good. The baby has lots of dark hair. I announced the birth to the class and
they were all thrilled.
| Institute Class |
Friday we worked at home in the morning. In the afternoon we visited our grandma. We had thought her husband would be there, but he wasn’t. We suggested she talk with him and we would schedule something when we saw them Sunday so we could arrange a time when he could be there.
| Our baptismal candidate |
After we left her home we stopped at the home of a girl we’d been teaching. Her daughter’s baptism is finally scheduled. From there we did some shopping and got a bite to eat then headed to Toh-la-kai. All four kids came for seminary and we had a fair lesson. They don’t like them to answer questions so it’s a challenge. After seminary we came straight home. We were both exhausted. We put the things away that we’d purchased and organized things for morning and went to bed.
Saturday we were up early and out the door to Albuquerque.
When we got near the city we saw several hot air balloons in the sky—a couple
very close to the freeway. We got to the temple quickly and had a good session.
After the session we visited a bit then left so they could have some family
time. We arrived home about 2:15. Ted nearly fell asleep on the way home so I
turned off the recording we were listening to and had him tell me stories about
when he was in the Navy. It was really interesting. He told people he slept all
the way home. Ted was able to take a quick nap while I put stuff away.
At 3 PM we headed to the church for a birthday party. We had
a full meal followed by musical chairs. Ted won a prize but gave it to a young
boy who really wanted it. I spent most of my time visiting. After the games we
had ice cream and cake and the birthday girl opened her gifts. We had bought a stuffed
giraffe at the trading post and she really liked that. Afterward we helped
clean up. Lots of people stayed so it went quickly. We were very tired and went
to bed fairly early.
No comments:
Post a Comment