| Ted, Elder Busdicker, Elder Chavez |
Monday, at the time we figured kids would be home from
school, we set out to visit several youth about the youth conference. We went
to five homes. At one the son was home, but his mother was not. We made an
appointment to see her. At one the father was home but the daughter was going
to school in Phoenix. We gave him the information and a form. We left notes at
two homes. At one the uncle was home but the mother was not. We’ll go by later.
I am amazed at the conditions people live in.
The uncle is the son of a former branch president. He sleeps
in the shell in the back of a truck. Since his mother died a couple of years
ago he can’t sleep in the house—it is an emotional thing. That wouldn’t be a big
deal except someone stole his sleeping bag and blankets when he was at some
event a while back. He has three sweaters he puts on then he prays. I’m not
sure that’s the whole story, but it was uncomfortably cold yesterday in my
parka. I wouldn’t want to face the night without a good blanket.
We headed to the basketball game that would start at 6 PM.
While we were sitting in the parking lot waiting for the doors to open, a mom
texted me that the game was at 7 PM and her daughter really wanted me to come.
We tried to reach the last home we’d visited so we could go back. No dice. Instead
we went to get sandwiches at Subway. The elders pulled in right after
us—apparently they like the food there. (It is actually the only fast food in
our area besides Dennys and the café at the trading post.)
The game was a real squeaker. Our team led for a while then
the other team took over. Our team made a basket just as the bell rang for half
time to tie the score. In the second half the score went back and forth. The
other team pulled ahead then for several minutes the lead changed several
times. We finally pulled ahead the last few minutes. We won 53-49. One of my
seminary students is co-captain and we’ve tried to support them. I’m glad we
saw this game—it was a good one.
I saw a lady at the game that has not been to church in
years. She made the comment that she had missed church on Sunday but she’d be
there next week. Apparently, when we visited her on Saturday something had
happened a few days prior and she told her husband she was quitting the
ministry they had in the church behind their house. She said she was going to
find another religion. Then Friday night she had prayed for guidance. When we
showed up on Saturday she felt it was an answer to her prayers. When Elder
Chavez asked about her faith she was very touched. She asked us to pray for
her.
Tuesday I made bread so we could take some with us to our
appointments. We tried to round up some warm clothing and blankets for the man
in the truck. Mostly it was Ted’s clothes and a mattress pad. We went to the
Iyanbito Sr. Center to ask if they had any blankets. At Christmas they’d said
there was a warehouse full of donated items. They said they had given away most
of the stuff in the warehouse, but they gave us an emergency blanket. They also
asked us to do an Easter program on March 20.
Back at home I spent most of the afternoon trying to finish a
second scarf for the craft sale since I’d promised it would be ready by Monday.
I got it done while we were driving to our appointments. We had to do a makeup
lesson for seminary. It was really difficult. The mom was cooking dinner and
the noise of frying was almost deafening. The girl ate snacks the entire time
we were there. I think the lesson went OK and I think they got the point, but I
could hardly hear myself think.
From there we went to show a family the DVD on the youth
conference. The mom had locked her keys in the car so she didn’t get home until
about 6:15. We hurried and showed the DVD, told her about the meeting on
Thursday, and left two applications. Her kids are very enthusiastic about the
conference. We went to another home to show the DVD. We were late and the
younger son was anxious for attention so it was difficult to get the point
across, but they thought it sounded good.
| Rocks (larger than a fist) from neighbor's yard |
Wednesday I made another batch of bread. I reviewed the lesson we would teach in the evening and I also read my manuals for the chapters we’re studying in Acts. I made assignments for the kids to do parts of the material, so I had to plan the transitions that I need to do. The lesson went well. We taught two brothers and a sister in a family. We invited the grandma to come to church as well.
Thursday I spent time putting final touches on my lessons
for the seminary classes. In the afternoon we went into Gallup to do some
grocery shopping. We had a meeting at the stake center for the youth conference
at 6 pm and got there just in time for the meeting. As it turned out the
meeting had really been scheduled and held on Wed evening at 7 pm. One family
was also there looking for the meeting. We found the stake presidency and they
said someone would talk to us. After a long wait Pres. Hine came out and
started. Right after he started the branch president’s family arrived, coming
straight from track practice. Pres. Bloomfield started to talk, but Pres. Hine
returned and said they had too much going on this evening so Elder and Sister
Roeth would do a presentation at church Sunday. Ted started institute in
another room while I stayed with this meeting. It was a crazy evening.
Institute went well. We had four students and two missionaries,
so we had a good group. One guy who usually doesn’t participate was asked to
read scriptures. One of the sisters gave him her scriptures to use. After it
was over he offered us a plate of sandwiches he’d picked up in the pinewood
derby that was going on. That was a real breakthrough. He usually doesn’t say a
word. I asked if he was going to stay for games and he said he couldn’t
tonight, but he would next week. Wow!
| More rocks--petrified wood |
Friday the elders came over to discuss the branch party they’d
like to have. The biggest issue is not planning the party but in meeting with the
lady in charge of activities in the branch to get her buy-in. We came up with
having a chili cookoff. We planned it for March 23. I offered
to plan some games. I think it will be fun.
In the afternoon we headed to Toh-la-kai for seminary. Ted
was feeling bad enough that I had to drive. The branch had taken the TV out of
the room I use, so I won’t be able to show videos without arranging with the
elders to get us a TV. Pres. Bloomfield got there shortly after we did for a
meeting. He asked how we were doing. I told him we were frustrated with the
youth conference meetings and the seminary things. He told us a story, I think
to try to cheer us up, but maybe just to illustrate that life is full of
frustrating things.
I had two students at seminary. We had a good discussion,
but I passed a paper out for them to make notes on for part of the lesson and the
boy doodled on his throughout the lesson. It was quite distracting. I think he
must have been listening to the lesson because he drew pictures of Peter cutting off
the ear of the guard who came to arrest Jesus.
Pres. Bloomfield’s story: There was a small town where a man
wanted to build a bar. Many of the residents of the town were very religious
and were opposed to the bar. They attended the Baptist Church where they all
prayed mightily that God would prevent the bar from coming to their town. The
bar was built and just before it opened for business it was struck by lightning
and burned to the ground. The owner of the bar put a claim into his insurance
company for damages but was refused because they didn’t cover “acts of God”. He
then sued the Baptist Church for damages. When the suit came to trial he
accused them of destroying his bar. The people claimed they had nothing to do
with it. The judge had a real dilemma: a bartender who believed God answers
prayers and a Baptist Church where they did not.
Saturday seminary went OK. The assignments to the students
were a disappointment. Mostly they just read the scripture block. A couple had
some idea of what they’d read. One student did what I had assigned—she gave us
a summary of what the scripture said then gave a comment about it. I guess I need to
explain it better next time. I thought this would be a surefire way to get them
into the scriptures. After seminary the elders drove us to Pinedale to visit
the homes of some youth in the branch. The roads can be bad there and their
truck goes where our car does not. We visited three homes. At the first we met
a lady with five children. They do Bible study every day, but they are partial
to the Baptists who come every summer. We left a spiritual message. She was
very nice. We left notes at the other two homes.
After we returned home I made white chocolate popcorn for
the bake sale on Monday. I made the pudding for the meal at church on Sunday.
It turned out runny. After that I was beat and took a nap. It felt really good.
Elder and Sister Hunt from the mission office stopped on their way to Farmington.
They are going home in 10 days.
No comments:
Post a Comment