Elder and Sister Roeth

Elder and Sister Roeth

Monday, October 8, 2012

Week Ending September 29, 2012

Sunday we went to church early to try to meet with the branch president. We talked briefly about getting the seminary program going. We’ll try to hold a kick off meeting this week to pass out materials and explain how the system works to parents and students. We were asked to share our testimonies before the speaker. There were about 30-40 people in attendance. There was a good spirit and it was a good meeting.

We met the Joe family at church. After lunch we went to visit them to get acquainted. They have a son that is a junior and a daughter who is too young for seminary but who we will probably include in the program. They are a sweet family.

Monday Ted spent time with Verizon trying to figure out the internet and cell phone situation. We called the RS president and she is going to go with us in the morning to visit some of the places or at least find out where they are. I feel like we are finally making progress.

In the afternoon we drove to Gallup. We did a bit of shopping, including getting a device to give us internet. We arrived home just as the rain started. We were glad to be home. We put things away and tested the internet. I feel like I am back in touch with the outside world again.

Tuesday we went with the Relief Society President Sister Debra Leggett to visit several families in the branch. She drove all over the place on dirt roads mostly unmarked. I had thought we’d note where people lived with Garmin, but I forgot until we were about done. We invited several youth to attend our start up meeting for seminary on Thursday night. In the evening we went to the Stake Center to attend the Strengthening Marriages class. They would like us to teach that eventually so the thought was we should attend and see how it is done. I’m not sure we would teach the same way the couple taught because they are both professional counselors.

Wednesday we worked at home for a bit then drove to Gallup to get help with Ted’s computer. They helped port my old cell number over as well and copied my contacts to the new phone. We then drove to the water store to get bottled water. The owner gives water to the missionaries (and a lot of other groups) for free. We walked up to the church to scope out where to hold the meeting and where to hold seminary. In the evening we called as many of the youth as we could reach to remind them of our meeting Thursday night. We have several so we should have a decent turnout. Ted talked with the stake president. He has 15 young adults in one of the Gallup wards that would like to participate in institute and 30 youth in Tohlakai that would like to have seminary. Yikes!

Thursday we spent most of the day getting ready for the night’s meeting. I made cookies for refreshments. We also made dinner for the CES coordinator who came down to help with the meeting. We decided who would do what and tried to cover the “what ifs”. After dinner we drove to the church to get set up. At 5 to 7 we had no one there. Then the people started to come. We ended up with 7 youth and 5 parents. One of the youth was a less active boy that is friends with the branch president’s son. The meeting went well and the kids were all very enthusiastic. Ted suggested that we have a class for the parents while they are waiting for the kids and everyone thought that was a great idea. I was elated—I had thought no one was coming and we had a great group.

We had an unexpected turn of events. We had thought to hold the class on Thursday nights, but that is volleyball night for two of the girls. The group had a discussion and decided to hold seminary on Saturday mornings at 9 AM. Wow—that was really unforeseen. I’m excited they want it that much. After we finished they were talking about which friends they thought they could invite. There are at least two other girls in the branch that live in the boarding school that will probably come and there are several non-member friends they want to invite.

Friday we took a trip to the school to try to reach the girls in the boarding school, but they needed parental permission for us to talk to them (as I would expect). We left them a note so I hope they get it. They go home on weekends, so I’m hoping they’ll come to church. The rest of the day was spent preparing our lessons for tomorrow. There is only one problem with two day’s notice and that is that there is a crunch when it comes to preparation.

Saturday morning we were at the church early to set up for our classes. At 9 AM no one was there. I was really disappointed but still hopeful that they would come. And come they did. First the Joes came then the BP’s wife dropped off their three kids and their friend. One student was out of town, so everyone came. I was so relieved. I gave an overview of the New Testament and I think it went well. They commented when asked. I think with time they will participate more. Ted thought his class went OK.

After seminary we went home and I pruned the elm shoots that were all over our sidewalk and yard. Then we checked out the chest of drawers that was in the shed behind the house. We hauled it out and cleaned out the cobwebs then moved it into the house and transferred our clothes. It takes less floor space and the drawers actually pull in and out. I think it will be an improvement.

I picked up Sister Joe for the RS Women’s Broadcast. Our Relief Society was meeting at the Golden Corral for dinner before the broadcast. Six of us came and we had a good visit. It was really a good conference and I’m glad I went. I also learned a lot about people in the branch.

No comments:

Post a Comment